Tuesday, December 09, 2008

with my own eyes

So my car is on the verge of death. But I'm ever so thankful, that at one point in my learning to drive, my dad told me it was possible to drive standard without using one's clutch. I took that as a challenge, and eventually perfected it. I rarely use my brakes for the same reason.
So yes, I'm thankful, because I was able to drive the verge of death vehicle across town twice (for two very important events) before eventually admitting to myself that maybe I shouldn't be driving such a vehicle.

When lovely repair man told me how much it was going to cost... I told him he was the opposite of Santa Claus.

anyway, that's not what I sat down to write.

I like to make positive-earth-friendly choices where I can, and I'd LOVE to have a hybrid, or even a little smart car- except I'd need a trailer for my giant casserole dish. And I'm always impressed when people go out of their way to spend the extra (money or time) to make a smaller impact. One of my neighbour's even has a grease car... he refit his little VW to run on recycled oil from the chip truck. Yes, it smells faintly of french fries. I'm pretty sure I even remember my dad taking a course on electric vehicles? (is that right dad?)

Anyway, I tried not to laugh too hard tonight, while I was walking home from the bank... Parked in front of the convenience store was a little smart car. It sat there for a good 5-8 mins (I could see it from down the street). It sat there idling for a good 5-8 mins.

lol, what's the point?

4 comments:

T said...

ha...that's pretty funny...I guess the SMART car people think that they are just using the battery to idle. Is the Sunfire officially dead?

The Bunns said...

Well you see, it is the car that is smart, not necesarily the owner. We know a few hybrid owners who make more trips since they get such good gas mileage.

For ourselves ... we run on hay!

Deb Cushman said...

You're so funny! I'm picturing you kicking the "verge of death vehicle" and tossing your giant casserole into the trailer of your smart car -- then driving to the potluck without hitting the brakes once!

RG said...

By the way .. come on over the bridge and get an American car... they are giving away cars that sound better than yours.