Sunday, March 12, 2006

for- jiv?

I have to apologize....

tonight I walked into the apartment and heard loud intermittent thumping... Immediately I rushed to my room and began bawling out the rabbit... I even grabbed the spray bottle and gave him two quick shots... AS I entered the room. He didn't have a chance.

after regaining my calm (his cage, my room- is directly above the landlord's bedroom) I went back in the room and let him out of his holding. I walked away and went to the kitchen.... MORE THUMPING! "what the heck? he's not even in his cage, what's his friggin problem" (thought I, as I dashed back to the room already armed with the spray bottle) He just sat there watching me.

It was then that I heard the thumping from down the hall... not my room... not the rabbit.
but rather... somewhere in Australia.

Last spring and the spring before that, we had a family of raccoons take up residence in our ceiling above the computer (there's a space there, created by the roof dipping down. The sunroom is built on the other side of that wall... and in it's creation for some reason, a raccoon dwelling sized space was left). The water damage to the ceiling above the computer desk (from the raccoon's break-and-enter) was shaped like Australia in it's first year, it's now more like a bloated Baffin Island, but the first name stuck.

Long story short... the coons are back.
I think they knew their home in the tannery behind our house was numbered in it's days... and they've decided to take up residence with us again.

Norty... I'm sorry I shot you with the water bottle... alot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I honestly felt SO sad for Norty during this story. And Australia made me die laughing. - meg