Sunday, March 19, 2006

the long way

I have this problem, where in... I hate most country music... but I love the cowboys. There's something about the swagger, the rough, the style, I don't know, it makes me want to follow them down the street.
When I worked at the ranch, the "cool thing" was to have the attire. But we were all more leaning towards the Aussie than the West, we loved dark fringe-free chaps, the oil skin hat... and the slicker.
Not the half slicker.
The LONG slicker.
Deep brown oilskin, with it's rich sent, it's canvas warmth. The type you could wear riding in the rain or cold, and spread it out, so your horse's back was dry, and it funneled the heat up to your body. I think it's part a throw back from the hours of "Man from Snowy River". And part... it just looks good.

out there.

in a ranch setting.

or somewhere where there's trees.

or at the very least... a field.

There's this young guy in town, he walks William St. everyday around the same time, with a paper bag in his hand ( ham sandwich?). Dressed in the long one. and he looks kinda silly.
and I feel bad for him, and for myself, because I'd like to be in a place where that's what you wear, and it fits.

No comments: