Saturday, March 25, 2006

my little turtle and the spring thaw

I lose a lot of things.

I was putting a new little hoop earring in the other day and it got me to thinking...

I was trying to remember why I'd pierced my ear in the first place. I've got this one hole near the top of my ear on the left side, and I know it was one of those teen-anger driven moments, but what was the precipitating factor in it? What was the fight or the frustration that led me to thinking a little self mutilation might solve the problem?
I remember going up to the bathroom, being angry... I remember thinking "hmm, that'll fix them" (because obviously it would?) and I remember freezing my fingers with an icecube and stabbing my finger... giving up on the icecube... shoving a needle through my ear... then realizeing that I couldn't fit the earring through the dinky little needle hole... shoving the earring though and walking downstairs hoping someone would notice and be mad...
uh... yeah....

anyway, I was putting this little hoop earring in and missing my turtle. I've searched high and low for him. he's only gone missing one other time before, and I've had him for 10 years.
this turtle.. turtle earring I mean, has been lost in the worst possible place... outside.
every day when I go for my walk, I scan the ground in the hopes he'll return... that the snow blowers and plows have thrown him to somewhere that I'll see him waiting for me. True, he left in November, but I'm still holding out for his return.

TURTLE where are you?

No comments: