Friday, September 15, 2006

Small town interests

Ok, we live in a small town.
Ok, small towns are fantastic... Except for the meddling. And the nose poking. Really... It's odd.
I was forwarded an email this week that just showed me the town is a little odd... It was a store that had ordered something for Dalton, but wanted his forwarding address. They sent the email to the Bethfields because they'd heard "he was staying at their house before he went to Ottawa" and that they were confused because they "thought he was going back out west for school."
Ok, I guess it's not that odd, but a store that keeps tabs on the sleep-overs of it's clients is a little out there....
Later this week, I received a phone call on the answering machine (I'd remembered to plug it in that day... Since I got back from camp, for some reason I can't have both plugged in at the same time???) It was from a missionary couple that I know... "Hello Lesley, just wanted to talk to you about that retreat..." I was a little confused... Till I turned on the computer and read the email from them "Not sure where you are in your relationship, but thought we'd better forward this on to you" the attachment was all about a pre-marital retreat they were hosting.... " (I sent them an email to put them straight)
However, there are the perks of a meddling small town... I don't have to place an order at Karaoke anymore, most of us don't, the waitress just brings the drinks... And this morning I went into the Bean, and the lady working there put my cookie in the bag before I was in the door... Unfortunately I'd only brought enough money for my coffee... Fortunately she decided to give it to me anyway!

1 comment:

Fallen said...

That is crazy... Things I don't miss from the former life in a small town. Not that Peterborough is much bigger... Mind you, if I go to the Junction Guy will have my drink waiting for me as soon as he sees me. And work sometimes reminds me of high school with the gossip. But I don't have stores keeping tabs on my whereabouts. That's a little creepy.