Wednesday, December 13, 2006

3D


ok. The other title I played with was "inverted".

you know those 3D image things.. the ones where you have a repeated pattern on the page and you have to stare at it until the image pops out at you?
I have a love hate relationship with them.
I remember wasting an entire day in my teens staring at a calendar someone had gotten for Christmas, crossing and uncrossing my eyes till I was dizzy. Then finally I saw something.
It was a vase.
But it just looked like a cut out of a vase. I couldn't figure out why people were so excited about the stupid picture. It didn't look that to me.
Last week I was looking at calendars (it is Christmas afterall... Everyone needs a calendar) and I ran across another of the 3D picture collections. I mentioned to the person I was with, my disappointment in the image... Who wants to see a cut out? They advertise that these images "POP RIGHT OUT AT YOU"... Well, no.. They don't. She started to laugh .... Apparently I'm seeing them backwards. Instead of popping out, they are punched in...
Last night I sat at the computer experimenting... And lo and behold... She was right... I practiced looking at a basic one (a ball) and it was concave, I tried to look at a more detailed one (a kyaker) and it made no sense (by it's outline).
Grrr.

This morning, I decided I'd post about my frustration, I started to write, and thought, well... I'd better find an image to go along with it... I found one. And for some reason... This morning, (maybe it's the lack of sleep) I can see it "POPPING RIGHT OUT AT ME". I'm going to go try the kyaker again.

1 comment:

Manitoba Hal said...

I have never seen anything in these pics.