Sunday, July 18, 2004

a pet OR It's all about me

Not a pet as in; my dear Norton whom I love to squish and squish ; but as in a pet peeve. I was at church this morning and we sang (as all good pentys do) the same song over and over and over. And that wasn't the thing that was doing the peeving. We were singing "Blessed Be Your Name" ~a great song by Matt Redman~ when it hit me. So, my biggest peeve (in part) is when worship leaders don't put any effort into the preparation of leading people into worship... HELLO! You're the lead worshipper, we are following your lead, so lead us somewhere.  The other side of that is when they pick songs solely based on the fact that they "like the sound of the song" or rather they like the sound of their own voices singing the song. I'm talking about the ever catchy songs about us, not about God. Aren't we supposed to be worshipping Him? Instead we end up singing songs about how we are responding to Him, or what we are going to do for Him, or what we are going to change, or even grrr...  Now. I have to be careful here, because I know that a lot of people have never really thought about it themselves, and have entered into an amazing space in worship even though they were singing their own praises - that's ok, God can use anything, and if your heart is in the "right place", you've honestly intended to be praising Father God... Of course you will be. I think I'm meaning more us toddler/adolescent Christians who should be learning and digging a little further- we aren't babies anymore, we don't need to be so self centered.
I could sing of Your love forever, I've been singing this song forever... And oh I feel like singing...It's foolishness I know.... But when the world realizes I'm still singing about me, I'LOL be singing a new catchy song and they'll never knoooooo-oooowww.... 
*sigh*
I don't know if that made any sense. Anyway, I'm usually pretty impressed with the Matt songs, and I've been loving "blessed" a lot, I think because I heard it SO much this morning it turned on me
Every blessing you pour out I'll turn back to praise When the darkness closes in Still I will say Blessed be the name of the Lord Blessed be Your name Blessed be the name of the Lord Blessed be Your glorious name.
We were still singing about what we were going to do... What ever happened to the awesome old hymns where we just sang about Jesus and His awesome power?

No comments: