Friday, December 17, 2004

whipped cream

well, I'm Ethiopia, and so far so good.. we haven't had to stop for plane parts this time! Although after our first landing (in Nigeria) I thought we'd have to stop and buy some new tires, know how usually the plane bounces a few times, like it's testing the runway? The pilot DROPPED us on to the runway... and half the luggage compartments popped open! it was pretty funny.
Ok, so I saw the coolest thing... other than the goat that was tied to the top of the taxi yesterday... tied standing up ON TOP of the taxi... and other than the lady with the four dead animals on her head.. I think they may have been goats, don't know, they were skinned...
ok, so we take off in Lome and follow the coast for a little while, the air is clear, big fluffy whiter than white clouds are towering into the sky around us (but no further than the beach, there was nothing over the water) then we turned north. We had only been going that way for about 2-3 mins when I looked out and saw this strange fog... dirty fog that we were about to fly over... then you could barely see the ground. it was like looking at a slightly out of focus sepia photograph. It was Harmatan! I hadn't thought about the fact that you could see it from up there.. ok, but the coolest part was the clouds... they looked like little red cotton balls below the fog, but in some places they reached out above the harmatan, whiter than white. It kida reminded me of iceburgs floating in weak tea.... very cool.
praise God I had two seats to myself on the way here (window!!!!!) it was nice!!!
see you soon I love you

No comments: