Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Blubber laugh blubber

I was just sitting in my car laughing and crying at the same time.
There's a couple of different reasons I guess, and sometimes they bubble to a head and pop out of you. There's no control then, just emotions. Messy sometimes aren't we?

I had a lovely family dinner with the MackAttacks tonight, that left me smiling.
Next stop, x-mart. And "the tree" -
::The reason I just sat in my car blubbering.
Am I happy and confused by the fact I'm helping to save the planet (somehow?) by purchasing a non-degrading plastic product? Sad that my house won't smell like pine? Upset that I've broken a promise to myself and purchased yet another large product from x-mart? Discouraged by the fact I can't do anything without someone's help? All of the above.. And...

So, I'm in x-mart and I'm passing the seasonal section. I've been talking for awhile about getting a tree, and today I spot one that fits the bill perfectly. I go to put the box in my cart and realize I'm not going to be able to do it... Not because it's heavy, not because it's up high... But because the Dr. Says NO LIFTING.
I find myself a nice young lad in a blue apron and get his help. Blue apron lifts the box with one hand and puts it in the cart. He looks at me kind of funny as I walk away.
I head to the cash and ask for help with carry-out. The cashier looks at me kind of funny, but makes the call when she sees the "team carry" sticker on the box. And so I wait. And I wait. And I wait. After 10 mins (no joke) I ask the cashier to make the call again. After 5 mins I walk to the Service desk and ask them to make the call. After 5 mins I'm starting to feel like I'm going to faint if I have to stand much longer... I start to turn pale, and I'm sweating... Great... I'm going to faint.... And then....
Then a young man walks up to me and asks if he can help.
As we walk to the car he tells that he and his girlfriend have been standing at the service desk for the past 10 or so mins. "short staffed I guess" he says... We reach my car and I open the door for him to put the tree in the back seat, he glances at the "team carry" sticker, and before I can say something, reaches with both arms braced for a heavy load.... And nearly flings the box over his head.
"It's pretty light" he laughs, and then heads back to the store....

sometimes there are some super people

No comments: