Friday, July 01, 2005

Log Driver's Waltz

Today I was wishing I could find Jacky... The waterfront fest went well, thanks for asking. I spent the whole day there, from 9am with the boys (for work) till 8:30pm with the Sheffs.
(Happy Canada Day!)
Aengus played in the park at the band shell. It was a pretty short set (I think everything was running far behind)but he sang "Log Driver's Waltz"!!!!!!
Every morning before school; thru grade school and into high school, Bethy-B and I would watch about 15 mins of TV, We'd watch the CBC to see the National Film Board's showing of the cartoon-film-short and the first 10 mins of "Camp Cariboo" (I've got a head like a ping-pong ball, I've got a head like a ping-pong ball... I've got a head like a ping-pong ball.... PING like a ping-pong ball) ... don't sit in denial, I know you're singing along.. I can even hear you.
Anyway, really.. it was the highlight of our morning when we could catch the short... it's a classic! My favorite part is when the log-driver is twerling-wherling, down the white-water with his gaffing rod, and the rod morphs into his woman... she looks like a broom stick. I smile every time and wish it was me being spun around.
Funny! Maybe my desire to dance DID'NT come from the sound of music! I was watching national film-board shorts WAY before I first saw Lizel and Rolf in the gazebo.... "I am sixteen going on seventeen".
Aengus sang it REALLY nicely, I liked his way of singing the verses better then the original, but have to admit I still hold true to the original rendition of the chorus.
For that song and one other, there were people waltzing at the back of the crowd.
WHERE WAS JACK?
It made me sad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally forgot about Camp Cariboo!! And I'm NOT in denial... I WAS singing along! ;)