Monday, October 09, 2006

the hand off

Out for my walk today, I could have sworn it was the end of June and not the beginning of October.

Some sights stain your mind.

I was walking past a coffee shop when I noticed this guy at his car. Most people don't go to their trunk when they get out at a coffee shop, so he sort of caught my attention. He grabbed a small carry-all bag, navy blue, and shut the trunk. This little guy around 5 or 6 jumped out of the car and met him at the back. The man (presumably little guy's dad) passes him the bag and crouches down. He's down on his knees and he wraps his arms around the little guy in a great big embrace. Not a hug... More, a "hang on for all you're worth". It lasts a little longer than your typical father/son embrace. The man is POURING his love on his child.
As it's happening, I know instinctively what's going to happen next.
The man straightens up and the child peers up at him... Both of them are so in love. Then the little guy looks around his dad and spies what they are there for, he throws his arms up, bag banging against his elbow as he runs to a woman, she's walking toward him, cell phone to ear, cigarette in the other hand. She greets him with half a hug, still talking on the phone, I worry about the cigarette by his little head. She doesn't even acknowledge the man who's just delivered this precious little guy to her, she turns him as he tries to wave and she walks back to the picnic table, still smoking, still on the phone.
They sit down and she's still not speaking to him.
I don't know the full story.
But I cried while I watched the short form.
Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: