Tuesday, October 17, 2006

wet. and locked.

So today, though it was the birthday of two fabulous people... it had a bit of a rough start.

This morning, I'm laying in bed, after fighting with my alarm clock- it seems that the snooze button is nearly toast. I've fixed it twice... but this may be the end.

right right, I'm laying in bed thinking... "it's now 6:55, I have 35 mins till work.. I'm off work at noon for an appointment... that means I'm working how many hours?" trying to do still-asleep-math in my head... I then realize it's tuesday. And I'm suppose to be at work in 5 mins.

I JUMP into my clothes (calling the night staff to say I'll be a few seconds late) and fly down the stairs... remembering just how cold it's been I grab a nice fuzzy coat to stay warm, I'm dragging the coat over my head as I burst out of the house.... into the DOWNPOUR.

yes.
it's raining
hard

I dash to the car, thru the GIANT puddles, in my shoes that have a giant crack in the bottom- effectively soaking myself to the core. Scramble into my car, dig in my suitcase sized purse for my keys and zip to work. I pull up, and the co-worker is sitting in his car with it running... (I am 3 mins late) he pulls out as I open the door...

I walk into the house and am greeted with the usual chorus of "why are you here", "where's so and so?", "what's for breakfast?", "so and so said this"- "I DID NOT" "I'm going to stand here and act like a baby till I get my coffee" "who's working tonight?" and some other lines sung together creating a cacophony of "send me home-ness" near intolerable heights.

I set down my bag and reach in for my work keys.

this is important.
EVERYTHING in this home is locked. EVERYTHING. frige, cupboards, closets, office, freezers, you name it, it has a key.

I set down my bag and reach in for my work keys.
I take all the garbage out of my purse and look for my work keys.
I take out everything and look for my work keys.
I go to my car and repeat the process.

it's about this time when Golum says "your keys are in the office lady".

*sigh* so is the phone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes. Golem is quite helpful at times. Hope your day improved after that. How many sleeps til retirement?