Sunday, October 08, 2006

Reflections

fall seems to be a time of reflection.
or at the very least, fall seems to bring reflection to me.
everything around me causes me to pause and look again. the colours standing against the graying sky, the geese drifting to a halt on the fields bare of their crops.
blankets of fog. not just blankets, heavy down comforters of fog, enveloping me.
this morning I drove up to peterborough, and the fog was whisping and swirling around. I had a 15-20 foot envelope of visibility to work in most of the time, like a large parachute of vision pulled tight to the ground by a dozen school children. sometimes the chute was lifted and I could see a little farther, and sometimes for the briefest of moments, the air left the chute and fell to the ground as I hit a thick wall of mist, seeing nothing but the hood of my car.
at one point a single sun beam broke thru the clouds above, and I saw for the first time a rainbow inside the mist. It was amazing, it flickered like a candle, swept across the trees beside me and then lit them on fire with colour. orange became ORANGE, reds became RED and the green dripped with the deepest hues I'd ever seen.
amazing.

1 comment:

Crilly said...

Your ability to paint a picture with words astounds me.
Even though I drove through the same fog, I didn't need to to have been able to see what you saw.