Tuesday, June 07, 2005

operation B.S.

This morning as I was peeling my eggs (mmmm, boiled eggs) I heard this strange scraping sound on my window... I thought for a second that maybe my landlord was spraying with her garden hose from below to get my attention.
I live on the second floor of a BEAUTIFUL old house, my landlords live on the main level and pretty much LIVE in their backyard. It's a piece of paradise out there and I covet it very much...
I looked to the window and there, hanging on for it's life; was a baby squirrel (aka: eeeeeee! squeeee-rail). "How the HECK did that get there?" was my first thought... then "awwww, eeeeeee! squeeee-rail!" (said with much love and compassion) then... "why are you on my screen?"
As mentioned, I live on the second floor of an OLD house... that's more like third floor for you subdivision dwellers... there's a drain pipe about a foot and a half away from the window... the edge of the house is about 4 feet away, and the roof well.... it's a long way away with quite an overhang. I think poor baby climbed the pipe, realized he didn't have the experience to turn back down and around, so he made a jump for it...
not realizing that there's only an inch and a half of window sill... hence the clinging squirrel on my screen.
He managed to make it onto the ledge after about ten mins... and I left the house for the beach.... (a girl has her priorities)
after a few hours I returned with Sharon in tow, her mission plan was operation B.S. (baby squeeeeee-rail) I got the pillowcase ready and we approached the window to tackle it's ancient panes open.
as we moved the first window out of the way, baby squee-rail decided he didn't like the noise and became baby-flying-squeeee-rail.... we heard a thump ... I ran downstairs to rescue him... but there was no trace to be found....
lesson for today:
baby squirrels can bounce.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Proof once again that God does have a sense of humour. I'm sure the poor thing just ran home to it's momma! Imagine the tail it would have to tell .... oh how it would differ from yours, although I do think that yours is much funnier. Well I can just hear it now "Momma, there I was minding my own business when all of a sudden these giants came at me with a very large, humungous,honkin bag and they tried to get me but Momma I was too fast and brave for them. Momma I just jumped a 1000 feet and it felt like I was flying sorry Momma I know we are not flying squirrels but Momma it was soooooo cool! There I was flying through the air minding my own business when BAM!! There was the ground, well Momma what could I do but stop, drop and roll.(I read that some where) Well really it was more stop, bounce and run. Momma they did not catch me though and here I am to tell you all about it".
I'm not sure if this is exactly what was said but it does make it intersting to look at the squirrel point of view, and you know how kids are they always leave out some of the important parts, you know being stuck up there and you trying to help him. If the whole story was told then the poor little thing would be in trouble and that hardly seems fair when I'm sure that you were right and all it wanted to do was explore and got stuck.
If for some reason you actually made it throught all of this and are still awake "YEAH!" I just wanted to tell you that I loved your story.
You so funny.

Anonymous said...

Still love the story, however I must plee on behalf of the squirrel. In light of recent events, I must say SAVE THE SQUIIRREL!!!! I'm sure you could put a little band-aide on it maybe with Barbie on it to match his helmet. Stuart Little could rush him off the the little animal hospital and Dr. Doolittle could check him out.