Tuesday, September 16, 2008

thoughts

how long do you hold on to things?

I mean, short of holding a grudge, how long do you hang on to old emotions?
I'm talking about that strange place in life, when your peers start to trickle back into their home town. 

Ok, so maybe not "short of holding a grudge", maybe I'm talking about grudges.

I'm thinking in particular of two guys I went to school with who caused me much grief. One just drove me nuts- teased me from grade 3 right on thru to OAC (Ontario Academic Credits- also known as Gr.13) honestly, the guy mostly just exasperated me... but he wasn't that bad. Then there's this other one- he made me cry nearly weekly, he was THAT mean. 

The mean guy has shown up and acts like nothing ever happened in the past, acts like he's my buddy. Mostly I tolerate him. At worst, I roll my eyes (at him). He's pretty shallow. 

The other guy has just shown up- I haven't talked to him, so I'm not sure who he's become. *

But seeing him started me thinking, when do you let things go? Does something like that need to be brought up again? Do you start fresh? Pretend nothing's happened?

Just some thoughts floating around in my brain this week.....

* I DO know that I covet his dog. In fact, he's been around town for almost a month now, but i only noticed yesterday it was him- I'd been looking at the dog every time he passed.

4 comments:

RG said...

Oh a toughie - that is!

I guess hold onto gudges forever if you have ways to relax well other times.

manda said...

what good is a grudge if you let it go? I say hold it forever. And I will forever hate boy in highschool who thought I looked like a boy because I had short hair.... oh wait no I married him. Still LONG LIVE THE GRUDGE!

Anonymous said...

On the other side of the fence, I say holding the grudge only hurts you - because if they didn't care that they hurt you then, they SURELY don't care that you're still hurting now! Finding a way to let it go (or forgive even, although you don't have to forget and they don't have to know about it!) seems to be the quicket way to a happy you. :)

Nursedude said...

The shallow guy will neither know or care if he's hurt you in the past, present or future. A wise man once told me that you can't control the stressors in your life but you can control your reaction to those stressors. ND