Thursday, September 25, 2008

they'd have been better off with lost mittens

poor little kittens.

Yesterday I was putzing around the kitchen, when the doorbell rang.
That in itself was odd- people don't ring our doorbell! They come in. Generally, they come in while I'm in the bathroom. On the toilet. It's like magic.
So this young guy (grade nine maybe?) was standing at the door looking nervous, and I open the door, and he asks me if I have a cat.
I look at him a little confused and tell him that I don't. Now he looks confused.
He then said "well, you've got kittens".

Turns out, the funny noise I'd heard earlier wasn't a squawky bird.. it was two tiny new little black kittens. Sitting on the cement walkway beside the house. Kittens shouldn't be laying on the walkway like that... I knew something wasn't right. Big ugly flies were buzzing around them.

I thanked the boy and walked around the kittens- I didn't see or hear any others- so they hadn't just scooted their way out from their little home- and I'd heard the funny noise about an hour before- so I figured it was a safe bet they'd been abandoned by mom. I scooped them up and carried them into the house to find a box and a towel for them.... I put them in the towel, and that's when I noticed the blood.
We zoomed off to the vet right away... but it was too late for the little guys. The flies had been laying eggs on and in them.... the one was being eaten alive, a big hole went nearly right through him... the other didn't look like it would do much better... The vets were great, they said they'd look after the expense of putting them down, they were very realistic about how much time and money it would take to try to save the one- and how very real it was that he'd probably be dead in the next hour or so...
I don't like cats.
But I love kittens.
The whole ordeal made me very sad.
Do what Bob Barker says.
Get your pets neutered people!

3 comments:

Deb Cushman said...

Oh, poor little things.

Percipia said...

You don't have to like cats to despise the cruelty of negligence.

Thanks for trying.

RG said...

Ughhh .. Flystrike is what it is called here .. not pretty .. seen it. Good try ...

The big bunny ... in the sun ... smart!!!!! but really here, how does a bunny "figure out how to open a cage" ????? might it have been left a bit un-done???