Sunday, February 04, 2007

In the news

So, much havoc was caused with Thursday's accident. Our town was nearly impossible to navigate, or at least the Northern half was, where the 401 traffic was diverted. It's not often that the 401 gets closed... in both directions... for such an extended period of time. Roomie read that there were 150ish truckers stuck, unable to turn around and get off the 401, unable to pass the accident from Thursday afternoon til Friday morning.... that got me to thinking what the cost might have been... other that the loss of life... which is so sad, and the injuries, also so sad... I started to think about what might have been in those trucks, where they may have been going, where they were due to arrive...
I talked to my friend Kaw on MSN yesterday and started to tell her about the accident. Her reply? "I heard it on the news!" Not such a significant answer, until it's put into perspective.... Kaw and her husband are working as teachers in Hong Kong.

Also in the news... if funny things are happening around you..... don't take a gulp of your drink. It's not like in cartoons.. it doesn't always shoot out your nose when you're caught unaware by a witty or ridiculous comment... sometimes you end up drowning for the rest of the night when it instead goes into your lungs.

Still drowning.

2 comments:

Beth said...

I knew about it on the same morning I'm happening! :O I was just praying that you weren't anywhere near the real trouble. ;)

andyjohnson said...

Funny story: I was writing about the crash here in Toronto, and called Pete Fisher, knowing he would be on the scene, for an update. So he gave me some details and a quote or too -- mostly hard details about victims and danger and how awesome the police officers and firefighters are. Then I hung up and turned the channel to CBC Newsworld, and Ted Amsden was giving them a report. And he was telling touching anecdotes about regular people risking their lives to save others, and how Cobourg felt like a parade was happening because of the line of transport trucks as far as the eye could see.
Too funny eh? It totally illustrates how different those two guys are. And probably explains why they can't stand each other :)
Anyway, get I finally met Dalton at the BUrlington show! He's cool. Turns out my brother and him went on a missions trip together years ago.
Peace!