Saturday, April 12, 2008

roofie-o (or) don't be an ass (or) turn back time some more

At 14.1 hands... Rufus was a lot of Donkey. Full Texas Mammoth Jack, with his sister Ruby, they kept us entertained ... and annoyed as anything. You know that expression "stubborn as a mule"? Rufus had it all figured out. He was probably twice as smart as any horse on the property, he drove me nuts.. .but I was totally in love with him!
I'd been asking if I could take one of the yearlings or two year olds to start them, and was turned down over and over... then PJ (my boss) offered me Rufus.
We were riding him in less than a week. I'd love to say that I was a professional horse whisperer... but really... he knew what I was going to do before I offered it to him.
One summer a friend and I spent time trying to get him ready to enter into a show jumping class... we thought it would be too funny to show up in the ring with this giant long ear... unfortunately, even with pacing poles layed out before a jump, he'd still spring straight up in the air to get over the jump... not fun to try to stay on him.. and not good enough to bring him in on the pretense of a "jumper".
le sigh

No comments: