Monday, August 18, 2008

et phone home

honest to goodness conversation that I just had on the phone...

the phone rings.... I recognise the name on the display as the old couple I got my first batch of worms from... so I answer... (side note:: I'd answer no matter who was calling- who are we kidding?)

L: Hello?
W: Hello this is  Mrs. worm lady**
L::Hello Mrs. W! how are you doing? This is L.
W: Oh, Hello L, I'm fine- I don't know that I know you. 
L: Oh, you met me thru your husband, I got some worms from him awhile back.
W: Oh! well, that's nice. How are things with you L?
L: Things are good thank you, how are the two of you doing?
W: Well, things aren't so good around here you know. But, we'll be here until the weekend if you're trying to reach us ok?
L: Ok.
W: well, take care.
L: uhhh, ok, you too? Bye.
W: Bye now.

** name protected as this is a rather embarrassing story

I hung up and started laughing. But then I got worried- Mrs. Worm Lady is elderly, and she's been having some health issues- I'm sure I remember someone not too long ago saying that she was having some memory problems. Also, they open their home often to some people who are not always so trustworthy. So I called back.
 
And got the answering machine.

I left a detailed message for Mrs. AND Mr. explaining why I was calling and left my number.

Then called the Sheffhouse ... because I needed to share with SOMEBODY! 

I get PaSheff on the phone... who launches into a story about a dead guy he didn't know about.  (yeah... ?) At this point- or rather, during this story about the unknown dead guy, I'm trying desperately not to start laughing. And it's not working well, so I cover the receiver and start making hand motions at my roommate- who looks as confused, if not more, than I. 
The dead man is given some body to his newly-passed life- and I then share with PaSheff my Mrs.W story. PaSheff is unable to make a complete sentence he's laughing so hard. So I say "do you think she's going thru something right now?" Without missing a beat, he replies "you mean like the phone book?"
And now I can't talk, I'm laughing too hard.

A little while later, the phone rings again.

It's Mrs. Worm Lady returning my call.
L: Hello?
W: Hello, this is Mrs.W calling. We just spoke.
L: Yes, I left a message because I wasn't sure why you'd called, and I wasn't sure if you were ok.
W: I know you're the young lady who helps across the way [referring to GTI- she lives on the property behind the motel]. I was returning your call.
L: Well, yes, I just left that message after you called, I wasn't sure why you called the first time.
W: There was a message on our phone, you called here.
L: I haven't called in ....
W: We've been away. For a month
[I called the week before I got my worms... that was months ago!]
L: oh... ok
W: Well, We're doing poorly here right now, we're under quarantine I have to go now Bye.
(click)

L: uh... bye?


8 comments:

Unknown said...

are you kidding me... let me bust a gut here for a second... alright, I'm okay now.....Hahahahahahahahaha... that is one of the funniest things ever! Okay, really now, what is she quarantined from ??

L.Bo Marie said...

no friggin' clue.
I still don't understand what happened.
ALSO!!! I'm sure I've called the house twice in my life... once they answered. the other time, they called me back... uh, in April?

RG said...

Yup, you are the Canadian answer to Bob Newhart in his hey day!

I was in a Dr. Office lobby once a bit ago and an older lady was sort of dozed in a chair. The receptionist goes... Ethel? Ethel? (louder) ETHEL!!!

Uh Ya? What? Ethel your appointment was yesterdy!

Uh Oh OK. Then I'll come back tomorrow.

Then a lady on crutches and a leg in a cast comes in. There is this hand dry-wash station with a sign that says please dry-wash your hands before approaching the desk. The poor lady looks at the dry-wash machine, down at her leg, back at the station ... I can't remember what happened I was all doubled up trying not to laugh!!!!

Nixie's Mom said...

is she quarentined or are the worms in trouble?

L.Bo Marie said...

hmmmm, I may put a quarentine sign on the worms..... so long as they don't start calling me I think we're ok.

Anonymous said...

BIZARRE!!! wow - too funny ... odd... maybe a little disturbing?!! hehe

Deb Cushman said...

That is very strange. Hope everything is all right with the couple. Quarantine can't be good!

Beth said...

rofl...way to funny. Something you hear from a comedian and never believe them! lol, oh I wish my friends were so interesting ;)