Wednesday, August 20, 2008

what if I want to be a dobro?

Sometimes when I walk around, I make odd noises.
It's just something I do. My sister and I made lots of noise growing up... sometimes it was just sound. LOUD sound... random sound.
When I'm concentrating, I make an aweful whistle. I don't even like the sound of it. But it happens.
Sometimes, I trumpet.

Like.. I sound LIKE a trumpet.
It's a gift.

Anyway, tonight I was minding my own business, leaving the GTI building, trumpeting.
Out on the steps of the building was a little boy. I think he was 4 or 5- he belonged to one of the volunteers that joined us tonight (mmmm, meatloaf!)
I trumpet my way out the doors and on to the steps, where the boy just stares at me. I figure he's about to commend me on my incredible trumpeting skills, so I get ready to say "oh, it's nothing"... but instead I get...
"what are you doing?"
quick change of direction... and mumble out "I'm being a trumpet"
Kiddo: why are you being a trumpet?
awfully humble me replies: well, sometimes it's fun to be a trumpet.
Kiddo: Well, you don't need to be a trumpet. You can just be yourself.

6 comments:

RG said...

But, But, But , .... you were!

T said...

i like trumpets

Percipia said...

Now look what you did. I had to go and look up "dobro".

L.Bo Marie said...

@ Ruth... LOL!! thank you :)

Anonymous said...

I love your new site. I wish we had high speed at home. Maybe we need to just keep traveling so we can enjoy sites like yours and some of your faves. I just checked out the Bent Objects - wonderfully creative - I laughed all through the first page. We are heading home now - be there in 10 days or less. All our love.

Heather said...

Always be the trumpet Lesley. ALWAYS.