Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Imploded

I've been trying to figure out how to put this experience into words for a few days now...

The other night was sushi night at the Orchard's place... I'd never rolled sushi before, and it really wasn't all that difficult. Mind you, it didn't look like anything I'd ever purchased... I'm not going to profess myself a pro-sushi roller just yet. Each piece was MASSIVE. A real mouthful that took a moment to work thru.

Like, a good long moment.

Which is fine when it's awesome... savoring a giant mouthful of sushi? Awesome.
When you're about to die? Not awesome.

I'd just wedged my second piece of sushi in my mouth when it happened. We didn't have normal soy sauce bowls, so I'd just wiped a bit of wasabi over the top of the piece and dripped some soy sauce onto it.... no big deal... except I hadn't tested the potency of the wasabi before wiping on...

Kim is saying something to me... I'm listening... and suddenly, she goes out of focus.
My face is imploding.
My face is being sucked into my sinuses.
My eyeballs are turning inward.
I can not breathe.
I can not blink.
Tears.
There are tears.
Where has the roof of my mouth gone? There is a giant hole... my brain is frozen and on fire and WHY CAN'T I BREATHE?
Has she noticed? Has Kim noticed? Can I turn my head and make it seem like I'm suddenly distracted by something?
Did I just squeak?
How am I making noise? I can not BREATHE OUT. OR IN.
OH MY DEAR SWEET GOD IN HEAVEN WHAT HAS JUST HAPPENED TO MY FACE? MY MOUTH? WHERE HAS THE AIR GONE?
I need someone to notice that I'm dying.
I'm dying.

and then..

it passes.

Then Jason bites into some wasabi...

No comments: