Tuesday, February 19, 2013

house guests

Those of you who are on instagram are pretty aware of this, and likely sick of the topic... but I had some pretty great house guests this past weekend.

Oscar and Mercedes.




I had to move furniture out of the way to make room for these sweet puppies, make space so they could turn around. Their toes were longer than my fingers. They could rest their heads on my bed (I have to give a little hop to get on the bed). They could look up slightly and touch my nose with their noses. Walking with them beside me gave me arm rests. I think Oscar broke my nose when he swung his face into mine cuddling on the couch. There are poops the size of horse poops in my backyard (glad kitchen catchers came in handy on our rambles- sharp ice would tear grocery bags when I went to pick up messes on walks... I loved every second of it.

Since I was 12 I've wanted a Dane... Honey was the first Dane I ever met... Avril from the animal shelter would bring her into work every once in a while as a special treat for me. I was a dog walker for years there... she'd bring in Honey (a fawn) and I'd march her around my walking route... proud as could be with this giant beast calmly walking along beside me.

Having these pups at the house was a dream come true... and a discovery.

I'll never get a Dane. 

Not in this house... not likely in this lifetime. The food alone would bankrupt me. Let alone car payments on something they could fit in... And I walked 25km this weekend... just to tire them out... I feel like my ankles are going to break.  And the fur! And the drool! I couldn't stay clean. They're so loving, but that love wipes those giant lips over your shoulder and the slime sort of gathers... and the fur sticks to it... and... 

Thank God for washable slip covers.

No comments: