Sunday, January 13, 2013

Basement diaries

It's looking like things are changing daily now down there. While before I was trying to live through the "it gets worse before it gets better" stage, I'm now in the two steps forward, one step back... satisfying to actually see some progress. It took a week of serious effort, a second trip to the dump (since the project started), and a lot of creative hobbit-crafting.

So yesterday's duties included moving the drywall/sheetrock that's been stored in the corner out of the way so I can finish cleaning and prepping surfaces for paint. The limestone and brick walls are getting a couple of coats of masonry paint to seal them up before I go too much further, and the basement floor is going to get a coat of paint to freshen it up, and to make it easier to keep clean.

Cleaning the basement floor? Oh dear.

I'll admit... I've done it once since I moved in 3 years ago. Even then, it was only the shop vac run around the room to rid it of mouse droppings* and spider webs. Wash the floor? "phhhhffffft! That would be stupid with an open coal bin pit in the corner" said EVERY PERSON WHO'S EVER LIVED THERE. No joke.

There were these two strange black blobs that I couldn't even scrape off when I started... after the fourth bucket of water sloshed and scrubbed around... they turned out to be pink bubble gum... really dirty pink bubble gum.

I don't think I'm going to be drinking chocolate milk any time soon.







*for a house that was overrun by cats, there sure were a lot of mice living in the basement. 

No comments: